It doesn’t matter who you are or what you do, today, you can stand out and one way to do this is to build yourself as a brand. You don’t have to be a Star or Celebrity to be a brand, from where you are right now, you can build and develop yourself to be a brand. This is important because in our society, it is important to stand out and be your own person, to stand for something, this is particularly great if you are an entrepreneur, or a business person, an artist, a singer or if you are involved even in the simplest of things. However, even if you are not one of those, you still need to brand yourself because that determines what others think when they hear your name. This is also a way of discovering who you are and improving your self confidence, so it does not matter your colour, your size, your race, or what you look like, you can brand yourself today and build people’s perception of you.
A ‘personal brand’ is in many ways synonymous with your reputation. It refers to the way other people see you. Are you a genius? An expert? Are you trustworthy? What do you represent? What do you stand for? What ideas and notions pop up as soon as someone hears your name? A brand is the idea or image that people connect with, by identifying the name, logo, slogan, or design of the company who owns the idea or image. It is when an idea is marketed and people begin to associate and connect with it.
On a personal note, branding is creating and marketing your identity as if it was a product, so that people have an image in their head when they think about you or hear your name. If you have a Facebook page or a Twitter page or are in any social network, then you will want to stand out from the crowd and make yourself impressionable that others do not forget you and increasing people’s awareness of you. So be your own brand and be it all the time.
So how can you be your own brand?
1. Know who you are and what you want – You should be able to summarise this in a few sentences, you may have heard about the elevator pitch, now Twitter and other micro blogging sites tell you if you can’t say it in a few words, it’s not worth saying.
2. Love who you are – You are going to be talking to people about you and who you are, so you have to be your biggest fan.
3. Be the best – In whatever you are doing, be the best, learn about your strengths and skills and capitalise on them, while also developing those weaknesses.
4. Talk about you – Not in a selfish, self centred or egotistic way. Never fail to tell people who you are or what you do or what you are involved in, get others to care about what you care about.
5. Be who you are – Don’t change for anyone else, of course if there is something you don’t like about you, then by all means, change it, but love who you are on your way to being who you want to be. Be true to yourself and be proud of you.
6. Keep your brand fresh – Don’t get boring, spice up your life, do something nice for yourself, because when you are happy, it will reflect in everything that you do.
[Article by Angel: Diary of a Believing Girl]